Stay up-to-date on the latest jobs and career opportunities from Exosect.
Formulation & Production Manager
Reports to: Head of Formulation & Production
Direct Reports: Formulation Research Scientist, Formulation Technologist, Process Technician
Role Location: Head Office - Winchester
Role: As a key member of the Formulation Development Team you will assist the Head of Formulations & Production in the development and evaluation novel formulations, production processes and techniques (‘know-how’), planning, coordination and control of product manufacturing and scale up operations to ensure prompt and efficient delivery of test formulations, products and services.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Develop and evaluate new formulations and modify/improve existing ones for proprietary platform technology applications, focusing on added value attributes (e.g. field life, active ingredient release rates, shelf and packaging stability).
- Ensure that design goals for new formulation projects, and project plans are prepared and documented in accordance with stakeholder / customer needs.
- Organise in-house or outsource specialised analytical and physical chemistry studies on candidate formulations, including particle size analysis, gas and liquid chromatography, stability studies, thermal analysis and microscopy.
- Maintain and develop knowledge of competitive products and novel technologies.
- Identify new opportunities to develop novel formulations utilising platform technology portfolio.
- Build relationships with University/research institutes, CROs and formulation experts.
- Evaluate and advise on the suitable manufacturing scale-up and toll production improvement options and selection of ingredients.
- Manage routine maintenance of production equipment and troubleshooting formulation performance problems.
- Review production schedules and material requirements prepared by production team, and agree production budgets and timescales with customer services and finance.
- Present platform technology at conferences and commercial / collaborator meetings.
- Provide supporting data and descriptive input for patents and other intellectual property protection.
- Ensure that reporting staff are both familiar and activities are compliant with the Health and Safety policy and all associated policies, procedures and methods of working.
- Ensure that reporting staff are both familiar and activities are compliant with Exosect’s Quality management system.
Qualifications: The candidate should have;
- PhD in Chemistry or Bio-Chemistry from a leading university.
- MSc / Bachelor’s honours degree in chemistry or bio-chemistry or related subject.
Work Experience: The candidate should have;
- Recent formulation chemist work experience (5 years minimum) in the agriculture / bio-ag sector.
- Presented novel technologies to technical and commercial groups / conferences.
- Provided technical sales support to licensees in a customer facing role.
- Experience of working within small research teams on projects focussed on building disruptive intellectual property in a commercial setting.
Personal Attributes: The candidate should be able to demonstrate;
- Ability to develop novel formulations, knowledge of organic chemistry, competence in analytical chemistry, and analytical method development
- Competence in the operation of HPLC and GC to undertake critical analysis, troubleshooting and method development, as well as sample preparation techniques and reporting.
- Experience in prioritising workload and effective delegation, reporting and making recommendations for further formulation development.
- Delivery of technical sales support to business development team and to commercial customers.
- Intellectual and inventive input to address market challenges with new technological solutions.
- Experience of working with particles and particle characterisation equipment (laser diffraction) would be an advantage, as would experience of working with insecticidal formulations within GLP and/or GMP environment.
- Confidence in working with and co-ordinating external consultants and contractors, collaborative work and research with external research partners.
- The ability to multi task in a small interdisciplinary commercially focused research team and manage a small team of formulation scientist and technicians.
- Experience of managing multiple projects and budget management.
- Confidence in networking, identifying new opportunities and managing existing relationships with customers and external researchers.
- Hard work ethic and versatility with a robust sense of humour
- Ambition to undertake further personal development & training
- Willingness to travel in the UK and abroad for extended periods at a time (maximum 2 weeks at a time) and must have a full UK driving license.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Leylands Business Park